Pages

(Properties) Around The Green

AROUND THE GREEN


Like many English villages in the past, commercial life and events centred on the village green.  Hallow’s triangular village green lies alongside the busy A443, no longer an ideal location for village events and celebrations, now more often held on the playing field. However the May Day celebrations with maypole and Morris dancing, revived in 1950, is still held annually on the village green.


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
THIS PAGE CONTAINS THE RESEARCH AND HISTORIES OF -


CEDAR HOUSE,  THE DOWER HOUSE,  ELMLEY COTTAGE,  LEA HOUSE AND LEA COTTAGES, THE MALTHOUSE AND BARLEY MOW COTTAGES,  MARYLAND COTTAGE,  THE NEW HOUSE, THE OLD FORGE,  PINCH COTTAGE,  POST COTTAGE,  ROSEMEAD,  AND SPILLSBURY COTTAGE.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although now totally residential, many of the properties bordering the green hold clues to their commercial past. The Old Forge, Barley Mow Cottages, Post Cottage all hint at their histories. Old photos and documents reveal also the locations of a public house, a malthouse, a butcher, baker, tailor, petrol station and garage, a doctor and district nurse, a coffee shop and an animal pound all on and around the green.




----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


CEDAR HOUSE



Early findings are rather confused and need further research to confirm details.  They are as follows:

Early findings are rather confused and need further research to confirm details.  They are as follows:

1867:   John Forty died and left the property to his wife Eliza.  This could have included at least two of the Cedar Cottages from which she received rent.

1892:   William Wilding (a schoolmaster) is recorded as living at Cedar House, possibly renting it?

1910:   Eliza died whilst living at Cedar House

1911:   As per John’s will, a year after Eliza’s death the property was bought by Constance Smith

1953:   The next recorded owner, Charles Walters (Police Constable) sold the property to Mabel O’Malley for £2,300.

1962:   The property was bout by John Mallalieu.

1971:   He sold the property to John & Beatrice Deare Oldman, who in –


1986:   sold Cedar House to the present owners.


BIH 2010
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

THE DOWER HOUSE



1441 - The earliest reference to a dwelling on this site is from the Rent Rolls dated 1441 – “ A garden now a cottage.owned by John Forster.

1613 - A cottage with 6 selions or six butts of land is owned by Elizabeth Edy and her son Walter. A selion was approximately a strip 22 yds wide by about 220 long. The reference to “butts” suggests irregular parcels of land perhaps due to adjacent properties.

1661-1695 - we find reference to the same amount of land owned by Eliza Edway, plus other parcels of land, near Moore brooke (possibly present day Laugherne brook). Perhaps the Edway family had acquired more land.

1747 - Doherty map and in the rent rolls as “a cottage together with 6 seliones of land and a small parcel called Millbroke”.  The owner was Mrs. Costin Homestall.

Interesting that all the owners were women. But also interesting is that no reference is made to the cottage itself. The important asset was ownership of the land and no doubt what it could produce. Quite a different set of values to those of today.


1923 - It is not known when the present house was built. A parcel of land at the rear was purchased in 1923 from George Harvey Young who was a blacksmith.

1950 - Ownership passed at some time to Miss Bramwell until her death in 1950 when she willed it to the church as a home for retired clergy and their families until 1999. It consisted then of two cottages Sigston North and Sigston South. Miss Bramwell was” high church”. She had an
addition built onto the back of the house which was used as a chapel. She may have had a disagreement with the then vicar as she attended a church at Clifton. Rev. Moreton, who had lived in China, resided in the Dower House for a time with his two daughters. Othe residents included Miss Angela Niblett daughter of a Gloucestershire vicar and Betty Birch, widow of a vicar. Interesting that women still seem to predominate! This suits wonderfully the present day name of Dower House.


A dower house is usually a moderately large house on an estate which is occupied by the widow of the late owner. The widow, often known as the "dowager" usually moves into the dower house, from the larger family house, on the death of her husband, the new heir occupies the now vacated principal house.


In the case of the British royal family there is a dower house in London as well as the country. Well known royal dower houses in London have been Clarence House, Marlborough House, and for a brief period Buckingham Palace then known as Buckingham House. Frogmore House has served as Windsor Castle's dower house.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------



ELMLEY COTTAGE


Elmley Cottage circa 1900


1441 -  is the first date a building is recorded on the land where Elmley House now stands.  At this time it was owned by John Forster who also owned several other pieces of land.  The building is described as “currently a new cottage”.

1461 -  cottage and land is inherited by son Nicholas Forster.

1477 -  cottage and land is “forfeited by Nicholas Forster because he did not repair”.  It passes into the hands of William Weaver.

1534 -  land passes into the ownership of Joan Parker, daughter of William Glover, a descendant of William Weaver.

1604 -  the owner is listed as Thomas Hall who “surrenders” to Thomas and John Edway

1613 -  the original land holding is split up and the part containing this piece is sold to Peter Goodman.

1675 -  sees a further split and one cottage with two parcels of land becomes the property of John Yeats who also owns the pound.

1774 -  sees the land and cottage remaining in the hands of the Yeats family, now Judith Yeats.



Elmley House 2010




1840 -  Tythe map shows that the cottage is owned by John Bellamy Reynolds who also owns the land to the side where Maryland Cottage now stands.  The land included a rick yard and he paid a yearly rent of ten (old) pence (10d) to the vicar.

1898 -  the cottage is recorded as being owned and occupied by Benjamin Lock.  He was the brother of Frank who was licensee of the Crown.  It later passed to Charles Henry Lock.

1936 -  the building is listed as Elmley House (not “Cottage”) and Charles Lock has moved to Peachley Manor in Broadheath.  Elmley House is owned and occupied by Harvey Thomas Lane and later his son Harvey who marries Catherine.

1951 -  Horace and Grace Baggott buy the house and their family lives there throughout the 1950’s and 60’s .

1970’s -  Bungalows were built in the orchard at the back and ownership passed to Dr and Mrs Mason.

1997 -  owner Judge Perkins adds a substantial extension to the property.

1999 -  Elmley House is purchased by Jason and Julie Hales.


2007 - The Hales sell to the current owners.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------



LEA HOUSE AND LEA COTTAGES (Combined)




Lea House & Cottages, 2010













The following information is from an outline based on the Doharty Map of 1747 and documentation of Pat Hughes.

1412/14 -     Thomas Boteler licensed to let house formerly Botellers to John Foster, tailor, viz. one new hall and chamber in the corner of said tenement with a barn & bakehouse in same tenement & another chamber next to the barn in another messuage.

1434 -           Thomas Boteller to build house of 2 bays.

1441 -           Boteler (Butler) for 1 cottage called Looken.

1588 -        Walter Strainage holds 2 cottages with appurtances in Hallow has died.  He owes herriot of 13s 4d for one cottage and 5s for the other cottage.  Roger Bird, Margaret, his wife, & Jane, take cottage.

1604 -      Richard Knowles and Johane, wife, & daughter of Walter Straine deceased surrender 1 cottage once William Dean now Alice, wife of William Weston.

1613 -          Alice Weston took cottage & close called Loken (adj. Cottage formerly Walter Straine, deceased.) taken by Roger Bird with wife Margaret & daughter Jane.

1619 -          Roger Bird deceased, Edward Thomas & Roger (son) take cottage now in the tenure of Margaret Bird widow.

1635 -          Tenure Eliz Bird

1647 -          Roger Knowles & Margaret his sister do hold one cottage in Hallow, rent 4/-

1690 -          Elizabeth Knolls vid per cot & terr in Hallow

1728 -          Will Knowles tenement barn & garden

1730 -          James Bishop cottage & close called Loken.

1747 -          Jos Bishop Tenement Barn & garden




Hallow Green, North Side, mid-late 1800s (showing the Plough Inn)







1841 -   The 1841 Tythe Map of Hallow Green shows:  c1841 nine dwellings owned by Samuel Hodges, Plots 70-78.  These were leased out by him at rents ranging from 7d to 2d per quarter.  The only indication of tenants’ occupation is that the ‘site of the school house is occupied by Miss Holland’.  Perhaps this means that this accommodation was a school rather than a domestic dwelling.

Also Garden House and Butcher’s shop is occupied by Thomas Hodge; perhaps a relative of Samuel Hodges, taken from the Trades directory.

1855 -       John Daniel, the Plough Inn-beer retailer & blacksmith

1873/4 -    Edward Tudgey – The Plough Inn – beer retailer & gardener

1879 -       Frederick Evans – Plough Inn – beer retailer and shopkeeper

1896 -       George Rupert Rowley – Plough “Coffee Tavern”




Hallow Green, North Side, c 1900 (showing Lea House & Lea Cottages








1899-1902 -  Mrs. Wheeley Lea bought the properties and lands from a Mr. John Lewis Skinner.  “Schedule of Deeds and documents relating to a messuage and dwelling house used as Parish Rooms and five cottages and gardens situated near Hallow Green in the County of Worcestershire purchased by Mrs. Wheeley Lea of Mr. John Lewis Skinner”.

1916 -        Mrs. Wheeley Lea dies, on Christmas Day 1918 Deed of Gift by Huyshe, Bishop of Worcester in memory of Mrs. Wheeley Lea.  Properties to the Worcester Diocesan Trust of Lea House and Cottages to be used as residences by Parish Curate and Parish Nurse.  To include three Cottages on SE side, Lea House, Working Men’s Club & Church Institute.



1917 -       Details concerning the tenants of the Lea dwellings.  This reveals an agreement with Mrs. Wheeley Lea of Parkfield, and William Aspey of Camp Lane, about the tenancy of The Old Red House, No. 2 Hallow Green.  The agreement states that he should have one pigsty only, or fowls.  The rent was at £10 per annum.  The dwelling was only to be for the parents and their six youngest children.  Grown up sons were not to sleep in the house.

The “Deep Well Pump” was for tenants’ use only.  The pump is still there to be seen.  Mrs. Wheeley Lea’s estate owned 1-3 Lea Cottages and charged each of her tenants £27 p.a.  She charged Mrs. Green of Lea House £30 p.a.

19/2/17 -    Was the date of the lease to George Richardson, tenant from the Hallow Nursing Association, formerly known as the Green House.  His lease was to exclude the use of the Sitting room, Bedroom and Store cupboard used and occupied by the District Nurse, and the two rooms on the ground floor used for parochial meetings.  The tenant and his family were to have joint use of the water closet and bath room with the Nurse, for the time being.  One hopes it was not for too long!  The Nurses came under the name of Hallow & District Nursing Association.  Their house was known as Nurses Cottage.  They obviously needed a telephone in the days when it was a very scarce resource and their number was Hallow 35, which gives some indication of how important it was to be able to contact them.  Local people would pay 4/- (four shillings) a month which was collected and used for medical services.  Non members would pay 1/- (one shilling) per visit.  Maternity fees were 25/- (twenty five shillings) for the first baby.  The fee for subsequent babies was 21/- (twenty one shillings or one guinea).

Notes from box 705:192 – Worcestershire County Records)

1918 -    Huyshe Bishop of Worcester makes these properties a Gift to Worcester Diocesan Trust, known as The Trust of Lea House and Cottages.  To be used as residences by Parish Curate and Parish Nurse.  To include:  Lea House, three Cottages on the SE side Working Men’s Club & Church Institute 1920 Property leased to the committee of the Hallow Branch of the Old Comrades Association for 21 years.

1926 -    Electric light installed.  1928 Lease of Lea Cottages by trustees, R W Stallard, E. E. Lord & William Lock to Henry Harris of Lea Cottage.  Lea House cottage, number 1, late in the occupation of Mrs. Harriot Doughty let at a rent of £15 yearly.  Also the same trust leased Lea House Cottage 2 to Thomas Green at a rent of £12 yearly.  The lease of the Working Men’s Club on the north side of Lea House shows the WMC in situ and the landlord as Worcester Diocesan Trust.

1929 -     Rents from Lea House cottages – March Quarter show:

                        Tom Green                             £3   0s   0d
                        Working Men’s Club               £2 10s   0d
                        R Harris                                  £3 15s   0d

Interestingly the data for rents from Lea House Cottages for the June and December quarters show the Ex-Service Men’s Hut, instead of Working Men’s Club, at a rent of 5/-.  By 1937 it was Lea House Trustees, c/o The Vicar.

1934 -   The Trustees of Lea House Charity paid to Queen Anne’s Bounty in London the sum of £4 17s 0d in consideration for the merger of 2/11d tithe rent on lands numbered 70, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76 & 78 on the plan of 1841 tithe apportionment.  Queen Anne’s Bounty was established in 1707 as a fund used for the relief of clergy across the country.  It would seem that properties 71 and 77 no longer exist and that there are now seven properties.  Today there are six.

Eventually the need for village nurses was taken over by the National Health Service in the mid 40’s so the housing was no longer needed specifically for them.  National Insurance Contributions to pay for the Service were also paid by everyone in employment earning over a specified amount.  The terms of the Trust allowed the Trustees to dispose of the properties they deemed appropriate, with the capital raised going to Diocesan purposes.

There is a long history of these properties being leased to people who contributed to the social functioning of Hallow Parish.  Some of the occupations are:

            Clergy / Nurses / Teachers / Caretakers of School & Parish Hall (when built)

1979 -   The following documents are from the Charity Commission detailing authority for the sale of Nurses’ House Number One, forming part of Lea House Hallow and Number One Lea Cottages.  “… expedient in the interests of the above named Charity that the property described in the schedule hereto and belonging to the Charity should be sold upon  the terms mentioned below.” Lea House & Lea Cottages.  (Extracts from “Memories of the Green” from oral histories recorded in 2009).

The village nurse lived in the Nurses’ House on the village Green named “Lea House”.  This house was donated to the village in 1904 by Mrs. Wheeley Lea (of Lea and Perrins Worcestershire Sauce fame), being originally called “Hallow Green House”.  This house exists today, but has been made into two separate dwellings.  There were two doctors who attended to the needs of the people of Hallow, Dr. Benz, who was Polish and held a surgery one afternoon a week, from 4.00-5.00 pm in a room in the house now called “Spilsbury” on the village Green.  Dr. Benz later practiced at Spring Gardens Health Centre in the 1970’s.  Dr. Johnson of the Gt. Witley practice held surgeries on Tuesdays and Thursdays in Cedar House.  The Post Office was run by the Lanes, in the cottage next to Lillian Cottage on the Green.  Then it moved to where Lea House is now and was run by the Richardsons.  Miss Clay the Infant School Teacher lived in the first of the Lea Cottages.  Lea House has a plaque on the wall, showing that the house was given by the Bishop of Worcester to the village in memory of Mrs. Wheeley Lea.  It is dated 1917, a year before the Trust was set up.

The two front living rooms of Lea House have a high floor to ceiling door, which slides open, in channels, to create one large room.  Committee meetings were held in this room.  Mrs. Herman, who was caretaker of the Parish Hall lived in this house before the current tenants.  Originally Lea House was for the Nurses of Hallow to live in.  At that time when there were two nurses, there was a linking door to the two parts of the house, where they each lived.  Sometimes referred to as the Front Flat and the Back Flat.  Lea House on the village Green at one time housed a soup kitchen for the poor.

There is a pump in the garden of Lea House and the families on this corner of the Green would get their water from this.

Early in the 20th century the Village Hall was a black hut on what is now the grounds of Lea House.  It was towards the front of the plot.  This was quite a large building, with dances being held there and other village activities.  The football teams used to change in this building.  This continued to be used as the Village Hall until the new hall was built in 1928, on land given to the village by Mr. Banks of Hallow Park, who also started the fund for the money needed to build the present Parish Hall.

There is a concrete base in the garden of Lea House that once held a Black Hut which was used by the Boys’ Brigade.

The Working Men’s’ Club was also in existence at this time.  It was for men only.  (It was said to be their refuge from their women folk).  It owes its origins to Mrs. Wheeley Lea of Parkfield House, who provided it for the use of the numerous gardeners she employed in about 1904.  Later the Foresters held their meetings there as well.  This was an organization to help look after village people who worked on the land.  People paid in an amount per week and when the bread earner was sick or injured, an amount was paid from the For4esters Fund to tide the family over the bad times.  The bar was a small hatch with a counter, through which Ogie Gillett served the drinks, the barrels being under the counter.

It is now Hallow Sports and Social Club and men and women are welcome customers.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

THE MALTHOUSE AND BARLEY MOW COTTAGES

TIMELINE OF PARCEL OF LAND ON HALLOW GREEN
1441 – 1747

1441    A cottage existed on the site occupied by a Mr. Smythe, together with a parcel of land and 1 acre of land in Knavesthornefield and land in Broadfield – rent 4 ½ pence

1443   John Arch occupied the cottage, formerly Smythe together with 1 acre of land in Parkfield, 1 acre and 5 selions of land in Knavesthorne, 9 butts of land in Broadfield, 
1 croft called Wythege and 1 pasture of land called Ingernshalle

1529   John Frynde and Katherine his wife took over the cottage, in which Alice Cordian had previously occupied, together with all the lands.

1572    John Bromfield and John Burford were the occupants

1747   
See Doharty’s Map (below) – P1 two dwellings and large parcel of land behind, also land in Shoulton Lane – P3.     Robert Harrison occupied the cottage, he died in 1768



THE MALTHOUSE PROPERTY 1768 – 1905



The property comprised of a cottage (which we believe to be Post Cottage) 5 or 6 acres of land in strips around Hallow and various 'appurtenances' - outbuildings next to the cottage on the Green.  The tenancy changed in 1768 from Robert Harrison, who had died, to John Baker ('in possession') but was held in trust for Richard Harrison of Temple Laughern. The property was also subject to a 6 shillings p.a.'chief rent'.


The carving on the left of Barley Mow Cottages gable suggests the malthouse may have been built in the 1770s



1789    The property was in the hands of Thomas Jones – described as a 'maltster' and his bride Mary Mietts in a covenant agreed on her marriage. When Thomas Jones moved to       Shropshire the property was described as the Malthouse Farm and lands.

1811    In a marriage settlement between Ann Young of St Johns and maltster Joseph Munn, £800 of Ann's £900 fortune was invested in the copyhold property as mortgage – the property reverted to the private mortgagees each time it changed owners. William Firkins was the tenant at this time.


1822    The mortgage on the copyhold property was transferred from Thomas Jones to the lord of the Manor, William, Earl Beauchamp Viscount Elmley who had inherited Hallow Park. John Hooper was the tenant.

1828    Joseph Munn – 'gentleman...of Birmingham' (i.e. no longer maltster) and wife Ann (nee Young) received interest of £20 annually on their investment. They died intestate without a direct heir.


1831    The entire property transferred copyhold to Worcester glover and trustee Henry Davis. Jemima Lygon – descendant of William Beauchamp received £750, relinquishing the mortgage. The tenant maltster Thomas Jones died and his son Edward had as a right the continued tenancy.






The tithe map shows a yard, house and bakehouse - 84, (owned by Henry Davis) at tithe rent of 4d occupied by John Woodward who was still there 34 years later, and a house, malthouse, garden and shed – 85 (also owned by Henry Davis) and rented by John Price with a tithe rent of 1s/7d



.

1874/5     Henry Davis, now a gentleman in Penge, assigned the ownership to Joseph and Ann Munn's heir, their niece Sophia Young of Pimlico. The executors for the Munn's sold the cottage and malthouse at auction, with outbuildings and land exceeding 7 acres. The sitting tenant was the baker Mr. Wood-ward who paid a yearly rent of £49.  It was bought by Thomas Surman (a farmer and butcher from Broadheath) who later acquired the freehold of the property


1878    The property was sold on by Surman to Andrew Harding(e) of Powick until his death in 1904. He does not appear to have lived there so presumably there continued to be tenants in occupation.



Extract from 1875 conveyance showing the part of the property on Hallow Green. The four other fields were elsewhere in Hallow – Pinchfield, Headland Field,in the Pinch and pasture adjoining Laugherne Brook west of Park Lane






1904   The property was sold off in parts, the field strips in Headland to John Smith Nind, Pinchfield to George Boddington and the property on the Green to Amy Wheeley Lea of Parkfield. The tenant at the time was John Warner. Correspondence suggests he was a troublesome tenant, owing rent and unofficially subletting a part. He was paid £5 for the loss of his fruit, vegetables and haycrop and given notice to quit from the shop, land, cowhouse and malthouse. The malthouse was demolished to make way for a terrace of three cottages named with reference to the earlier use of the site for malt production from barley as BARLEY MOW COTTAGES




BARLEY MOW COTTAGES: 1, 2, 3 (Lammas Cottage) 1905




1905    The 3 cottage terrace were built by Mrs. Amy Wheeley Lea on the site of the demolished malthouse and let to her employees at Hallow Park. At the time of her death (25.12.1916) the 3 tenants William Aspey, William Winter and Hubert Walford, were paying £32 p.a.


1917    She left her entire estate to the Bishop of Worcester who sold the cottages at auction to Thomas Mc Bean of Sinton Court, Grimley. A condition of sale was that the tenants were given notice to quit.


1925    Hallow Park (and the 3 cottages for £600) were bought by clothing millionaire Joseph Banks after Mc Bean's death. The 3 tenants were William Aspey, William Sander and William Sayer.

1943     When Joseph Banks died his daughter Elizabeth Collett (who was married to Banks private secretary) bought the estate including the 3 cottages but she sold the Barley Mow cottages freehold individually, after the war, in 1948.







Barley Mow Cottages 2010




1948-2010       No.1 was sold to her senior gardener Frederick Penney for £750 who lived there until his death in 1974. The following year it was bought by Mr. S L Malson, a printer from Welland, then in 1980 employees of Hallow Park, (by then a private residential special school for girls) Glyn and Maureen Dew bought the cottage – reforging its earlier link to Hallow Park. The cottage changed owners 3 times from 1986 – 1988 when it was bought by Shirley Johnson from East Sheen, who lived there until her death in 2006. After some alteration it sold to its present owners, who have kindly loaned documents to aid this research.

No.2 was sold to Agnes Hodgetts for £750 who lived there until her death in 1979. Mrs. Randall bought the cottage and lived there until 2003 when her daughter and son-in-law combined it with no.3

No.3 was sold to Charlie Aspey, a butcher, who lived there until 1972 when it was bought by Sidney Conquest who renamed it 'Lammas Cottage'. He sold it to the present owners, who
enlarged it by combining 2 and 3 in 2005. I am grateful to them for their help in compiling this information.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MARYLAND COTTAGE – circa 1900




The cottage at the forefront of this picture (Rose Cottage) of what is now Maryland Cottages was sold by the Executors of Mrs Emma Doughty in 1905.  It was demolished in the early part of the twentieth century and the land that it occupied now forms part of the gardens of the current houses.


1477 -  the original cottage forms part of a collection of parcels of land and various buildings which were owned by the family of John Forster.  His son Nicholas forfeits them to William Weaver due to the fact that he didn’t look after them or the land that they were part of.

1604 -  the land becomes the property of Thomas and John Edway along with several other cottages and parcels of land held prior to this sale by Thomas Hall.

1661-1774  - the land and builddings are owned by the family of John Yeats who also owned Elmley House (next door)

1840 -  Tythe Map shows the cottage being held by John Bellamy Reynolds who also owns the orchard nearby.  It was occupied in 1840 by Charles Roberts who paid a yearly rent of 1 shilling and 3 pence (1/3d) – about 7 new pence.


1845 -  sees the birth of the first member of the current owners’ family – Henry Gibbons who grows up to become a bricklayer and labourer.

1935 -  Maryland Cottage becomes two separate dwellings linked by a first floor level bridge.  There is a foundation stone in the archway between the houses commemorating the building of the second dwelling.

1936 –  David Gibbons marries Phyllis Barlow.

1950 –  Phyllis M. Gibbons became the sole owner and since that time there has been a series of tenants.


 
Maryland Cottage 2010
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“The New House” (left hand cottage) 

“The Cottages”  - 1800s




1840 -  occupier Joseph Hughes at a rent of 2d.

1871 – April 2ndoccupiers William Barrow (Farm Labourer) and family and Joseph Hughes (Highway Labourer)

1881 – April 3rdoccupiers William Barrow (Farm Labourer) and family.

1891 – April 5th -  occupiers William Allsopp (Blacksmith’s Spiker) and wife.

1901 – March 31stoccupiers William Allsopp (Striker at Carriage Works) and wife.

Pre 1903 – owners Thomas Brooks (of late a Linotype Operator in Birmingham) and Alfred Palmer (Gardener) of Moseley Turning, Hallow.

1903 – August 5thnew owner Harriet Brooks (wife of Thomas Brooks deceased).

1911 – April 2ndoccupiers William Holloway (Old Age Pensioner) and Sarah H Moway (age 80).

Pre 1917 – occupiers William Allsopp then W. Rouse.

1917 – July 18thnew owner Emily Kate Young – occupiers Mr Rouse then later Mr Hopkins.

1926 – April 26thnew owner Elizabeth Evans – occupier George Hopkins.

1933 – August 2ndnew owner Florence Emily Wootton (daughter of Elizabeth Evans) – occupier William Hallow (or Howell).

1937 – January 9thnew owners James Gunn and Charles Aspey (the builder not the butcher) – occupier Mr Mann.

1939 – cottages demolished.

1939 – rebuild started but not completed until after the war.



“The New House” and “Rosemead” – 2010



1951 – September 28thDeed of Partition of cottages, Mr Gunn now owner of the left-hand cottage.

1982 – June 22ndnew owner Winifred Ethel Gunn (wife of James Gunn deceased).

1985 – September 25thnew owners Michael Edward and Sheila May Badgery.

1990 – December 14thnew owners Philip Christopher and Shona Kathleen Lane.

1993 – October 18thApplication for an extension granted.

1998 – July 13thnew owners, present occupants.


Both cottages were called “The New House” until the owners of the right hand cottage changed its name to “Rosemead”


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------




THE OLD FORGE

1335:   Granted to Henry & Petronella Mareschale; cottage with a certain Smithy next to the Greeen.  Henry licensed to hold a tavern.

1400:   To this court came Philip Smith and took 1 cottage with cartilage and 1 Smithy in which John Smith lately held.

1441:   Thomas Beone, Blacksmith, for 1 cottage recently rebuilt!

1685:   Thomas Buckley, Snr – a cottage situated in Hallow with a garden with by estimation, half an acre, rent 3s. 4d. Thomas, George and Henry, sons of aforesaid Thomas Buckley, Snr, Blacksmith.

1738:   Rebecca, widow of George Buckley; a cottage with a garden in Hallow containing half an acre.

1778:   Deeds show that a Richard Nash, aged 41, Blacksmith, & his wife Mary, lived in the Cottage.

1804:   Deeds: Richard Houseman, a Carpenter & Wheelwright.

1832:   Mark Young born, son of R. Young

1840:   Tithe Map Awards: Mary Bourne is the landowner: the occupiers are William Hodkins & Richard Young.  The rent is 1s 4d.

1851:   Richard Young is Blacksmith and Letter Receiver (Post Office).

1876:   Mark Young is Blacksmith and Letter Receiver (Post Office).

1891:   George Henry Young born, son of Mark Young.




The Old Forge, June 2010

1920:   Auction brochure (sale of Woodfield Estate): Lot 20:- Village Smith & Cottage – let by Mr. G. H. Young as tenant.  Included is a weighing machine & office (Worcestershire County Council).  The Smithy is built of brick and tiled: the Cottage is brick, half timbered and thatched & contains sitting room, kitchen and 3 bedrooms and outside closet (Bob Bayliss, future occupier, remembers it as a double one!) together with brick and tiled outbuildings, comprising four-tie cow house, barn and a pigsty.

1938:   George Henry Young, Bob Bayliss’ great grandfather, passed away.  The land where The Old Forge outbuildings stood was sold to Burden the Bakers of St John’s who had 2 houses built there for his workers.

1944:   Bob Bayliss lived at The Old Forge from birth.

1953:   Emily Kate Young, Bob’s great grandmother, planted a pink horse chestnut tree on the Village Green to commemorate the coronation of Queen Elizabeth II.

1956:   Bob’s family move out whilst an extension is added to the rear of The Old Forge: Bob remembers a “drink house” at the rear of the property where his grandfather made cider.  To the right of the cottage was a dairy and an oven.

1958:   The thatched roof is replaced with tiles.

1960:   Bob’s family buy The Old Forge and move back in.

2001:   Bob’s father Alf Bayliss passes away, ending a Fourth Generation of continued ownership.  Cottage put up for sale.

2006:   Present owners, purchase The Old Forge after considerable extension and modernisation.




Memories of The Forge

Betty Pratt:
Granny Young (Emily Kate Young of The Forge) lived in a small cottage set back on the land to the left of the Parish Hall drive, this was later demolished.  Betty thinks that the houses that are there now were originally built for workers at Burdens Bakery in Worcester.

Mrs Munslow:
In the 1930s Fanny Brooks ran a Dame’s school in her home, the house were Miss Phipps lived.  This was a school for girls and presumably they paid for their education.  Mrs Munslow seems to think that Fanny was not a qualified teacher.

Mrs. Kate Young:
Mrs. Kate Young, the wife of George Young, the Blacksmith, planted a Pink Horse Chestnut tree on the green in 1953 to commemorate the coronation of Queen Elizabeth II.  Kate Young was then the oldest lady in the village being 100 years at that time.  Mrs. Young’s daughter was Mrs Baylis and she was a relative of Fanny Brooks.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------



PINCH COTTAGE, THE GREEN, HALLOW



8.12.1869
Ann Lloyd of Ludlow inherited, as a result of the death of Mary Weston, 3 cotages and gardens (1 being Pinch Cottage) rented by James Harper, Joseph Hughes and John Hooper.  The annual rent was £5 each.

5.09.1870
William & Ann Lloyd sold property to Thomas Allen.

1878
Thomas died and left his wife Martha Allen, together with his son William Allen, Pinch Cottage.

17.10.1890
Property passed to William Allen, the younger.


24.11.1909
The property was now owned by William Holder (Retired Farm Bailiff) who died and The Cottage was sold at Auction for £227.10.00 to Joseph Thorpe (Nurseryman) & then sold to George Henry Young (Blacksmith & Wheelwright)

1920
Property was sold to Ernest Edwin Dunn (Bank Clerk) for £370.10.00.  Bounded on the East by Cherry Orchard, formerly owned by Mrs Wheeley-Lea.  On the West by Hallow Green, on the North by the Occupation Road and on the South by the property of Miss Everton, formerly in the occupation of William Holden, now of Miss Clary.

1922
Mr. Dunn sold the property to J. E. Davis.

1940

Upon the death of Mr. Davis the property passed to his wife, Mrs. EllenMary Davis who appointed her son, Mr. Albert Edward Cleff to act on her behalf.

1950
The property was sold to Mrs. Violet Bufton for £1050.  A clause was added that said the new owner could not use any part as a garage workshop or petrol/oil service station.

1979
The present owners bought the property at Auction together with Cherry Orchard and Apple Orchard.

INTERESTING ADDITIONAL INFORMATION


Throughout the research there is mention of 3 cottages, all referred to at different times as Pinch Cottage .  Did the 3 cottages become one or are there two other properties in Hallow that were originally called Pinch Cottage?

Pinch Cottage?  There are surrounding fields that are called “Pinch” on early maps.  It would be interesting to research this further when looking beyond The Green.

When the present owners started to rebuild the Cottage they found evidence that suggested that some part had been rebuilt or that, perhaps, there had been a fire?  Some beams had gone and brickwork had been painted to look like black beams.  The property had no footings suggesting an early build.  Other building styles suggested that some parts could have been as early as 16th Century.

At the side of the property was a timber and glass extension from which Mrs. Watkins, Mrs. Bufton’s mother, sold sweets.

An old metal sign was found in the Cottage which depicts a Phoenix and indicated that the residents had insured the property in the event of fire.  The sign was fixed to an outside wall and could be clearly visible thus ensuring that the Fire Service would attend if there was a fire.

The old pump and well, which has been preserved by the owners, was used regularly to refill the Steam Engines travelling along the Occupation Road in front of the property.


The transformation from ancient to modern





















--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
POST COTTAGE



1871 -              See Census – Henry Woodward – master baker

1881 -              See Census – Henry Woodward’s family – Baker

1940 -              The Lanes ran post office – cottage called MENTMOR

1950 -              George Rastall purchased the cottages and rented one to his son’s family and the other to the Jones and family

?  Dates -        A family from Wales named Philips lived in the left hand cottage calling it HAFREN.  The right hand was purchased by Paul Winter, a doctor and occupied by his parents June and Peter Winter.

1986 -              Patricia Jones and her late husband bought the left hand cottage, named it ‘Post Cottage’, as it had had a post box in the wall.  The other half, owned by a man from Birmingham, was occupied by Dr. Holehouse.  When he moved out Mr. and Mrs. Jones bought it and converted the two cottages back to one property.

2000 -              Dr. David Martell and his wife Fran lived here for 3 years.

2003 -              Mr. Hayes

2007 -              Purchased by present resident.





1441 -              A cottage existed on the site occupied by a Mr. Smythe, together with a parcel of land and 1 acre of land in Knavesthornefield and land in Broadfield – rent 4 ½ pence.


1443 -              John Arch occupied the cottage, formerly Smythe together with 1 acre of land in Parkfield, 1 acre and 5 selions of land in Knavesthorne, 9 butts of land in Broadfield, 1 croft called Wythege and 1 pasture of land called Ingernshalle.


1529 -              John Frynde and Katherine his wife took over the cottage, in which Alice Cordian had previously occupied, together with all the lands.


1572 -              John Bromfield and John Burford were the occupants.



1747 -              See Doharty’s Map – P1 two dwellings and large parcel of land behind, also land in Shoulton Lane – P3.  Robert Harrison occupied the cottage, he died in 1768.




HALLOW GREEN - TYTHE MAP 1840 -  POST COTTAGE



Tythe 84 -       Yard with site of Bakehouse, owned by Henry Davis, occupied by John Woodward paying rent of 4 pence.

Tythe 85 -       Yard and garden with Malthouse Shed.  Owned by Henry Davis and occupied by John Price, paying rent of 1 shilling and 7 pence.


ISOBEL HUGHES (nee Rastall)  -  1950


Post cottage was then called Mentmor and Isobel lived there from 1954 to 1960.  Her grandfather George Rastall bought the cottages (which had been converted from a single house) and rented the cottage on the left to Mr. and Mrs. Jones family.

Isobel lived with her family in the right hand cottage and recalls that the bathroom was in the outhouse across the yard.  This was converted by her grandfather.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Rosemead” (the right hand cottage)


“The Cottages” – 1800s.



1840 -  occupier Henry Deakin at a rent of 5d.

1855 October 26th - tenant Stephen Barber, rent 6d.

Prior to 1865 the Church owned the property.

1865 – August 3r4d – new owner Thomas Cowles.

1871 – April 2nd -       occupier John Hooper (Pensioner from Horse Artillery and wife)

1872 – March 25th -    new owner Thomas Allen (bought from William and Ann Lloyd), occupier John Hooper, and oven and cellar under part of premises in the occupation of John Clay.

1881 – April 3rd -        occupier John Hooper (Pensioner from Horse Artillery and wife.

1891 – April 5th -        occupiers Ann Davis (widow) (Charwoman) and Rosa and Samuel Brooks (boarders).

1901 – March 31st -    occupier William Potter (Bootmaker) and housekeeper.

Pre 1903 -       owners Thomas Brooks (of late a Linotype Operator in Birmingham) and Alfred Palmer (Gardener) of Moseley Turning, Hallow.

1903 – August 5th -    new owner Harriet Brooks (wife of Thomas Brooks deceased.

1911 – April 2nd -       occupier Harriett Doughtry (Elementary School Head Teacher) and son.

Pre 1917 -                   occupier Catherine Corbett, then F. Griffiths.

1917 – July 18th -       new owner Emily Kate Young – occupier Mr. Griffiths, then Mr. Goodwin.

1926 – April 26th -      new owner Elizabeth Evans – cottage unoccupied.

1933 – August 2nd -   new owner Florence Emily Wootton (daughter of Elizabeth Evans) – cottage unoccupied.

1937 – January 9th -   new owners James Gunn and Charles Aspey (the builder not the butcher) – occupier Mr Mann.

1939 -                          cottages demolished.

1939 -                          rebuild started but not completed until after the war.



“The New House” and “Rosemead” – 2010


1951 September 28th – Deed of Partition of cottages, Mr. Aspey owner of the right hand cottage.

1979 – to present day -         new owners.

Both cottages were called “The New House” until the present owners changed the name of the right hand cottage to “Rosemead”.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SPILSBURY COTTAGE
(now named Spillsbury Cottage)

"THE COTTAGE" 1890's










1840 -                          occupier is Richard Rowberry paying a rent of 5d to the vicar of the parish.

Prior to 1865 -            The Church was the owner of the property.

1865 – August 3rd -    new owner Henry George Goldingham.

1865 – August 28thnew owner William Spilsbury.

1865 – December 23rdnew owner Benjamin William Wilson Spilsbury (William’s son).



1871 – April 2nd -       occupier John Harrison Clay – Plumber and Glazier (age 32).

1881 – April 1st -        new owners Mary Ann Everton (nee Spilsbury) and Lucy Anna Spilsbury (Benjamin’s sisters).

1881 – April 3rd -        occupier John Harrison Clay (Plumber and Glazier), wife Mary.

1891 – April 5th -        occupier John Harrison Clay (Plumber and Glazier)

1900 – January 15th - new owners Mary Ann’s 5 daughters and Lucy Anna Spilsbury.

1901 – March 31st -    occupier John Harrison Clay – Plumber and Painter (age 62).

1904 – May 30th -       new owner Mary Wilson Everton (Mary Ann’s eldest daughter). Tenant John Clay at a rent of £12 per annum – Plumber and Glazier.

1911 – April 2nd -       occupier John Clay (old age pensioner and sick club) formerly Plumber and Glazier.

1948 – November 22nd -        new owner Edith Emily Everton (Mary Ann’s youngest daughter) – occupier Annie Haines (granddaughter of John Harrison Clay).

1957 – January 15th -             new owner Joan Rogers and tenant Annie Haines nee Clay (Joan’s mother).

Between 1951 and 1981 -       Dr. Benc held a Surgery in a downstairs front room, on the left of the front door, from 4-00 to 5-00 one afternoon each week.

2000 – September -   new owners Mark and Caroline Griffin.

During this period of occupation the name of the property was changed to “Spillsbury Cottage”.

“Spillsbury Cottage”   2009


2005 - new owners, the present occupants.