ABOUT HALLOW (REVISED OCT 16)

The Green
The village of Hallow lies on the western side of the River Severn just north of the city of Worcester. The western boundary has altered over the years but is now defined by Laugherne Brook which divides Hallow from the nearby village of Lower Broadheath. The parish includes the hamlets of Little Eastbury, Shoulton and Hallow Heath.



Hallow (Haleghan) is recorded as a gift from King Offa to Bishop Mildred in 816AD and was prized by the monks as a health resort, providing fish, doves, rabbits, swans and produce at least until the 13th century. The Prior of Worcester obtained license to impark 60 acres of land and 40 acres of wood in 1312. The manor of Hallow at that time was without a house. The manor and park was leased by the Bishop from 1550 onwards. Queen Elizabeth 1 hunted deer in Hallow Park in 1574 on her Royal Progress.

The lands on the banks of the Severn are low lying and prone to flooding, being only 44ft. 
Hallow Church
above sea level, but Hallow lies on a fertile ridge which carries the main road from Worcester north east to Tenbury.  The Severn was navigable and tidal and could be crossed at low tide in Hallow and by ferry to the north and south of the village.  Much of the land is still used for market gardening and other agricultural use with several working farms still in existence. The village centres on a triangular village green around which a number of businesses including a forge, bakehouse, shops, malthouse, garage and public house have traded in the past but now is wholly residential.

The church, built in 1867 is the focal point of Hallow, standing on high ground on the Main Road. It replaced earlier churches located at the end of Church Lane close to the river.


The School

Thanks to a generous endowment by Anna Bull, Hallow has had a school for boys and girls for 300 years, founded in 1712. Amy Wheeley Lea (widow of Charles Lea of Lea and Perrins Worcester Sauce) was also a generous benefactor to Hallow and Worcester and many properties in the village owe their existence to her munificence.




LISTED BUILDINGS:
There are a total of 18 listed buildings in Hallow.  To read details click here.


Hallow Green

LOCAL GEOLOGY:
The subsoil of North Hallow consists of multiple layers of mudstone and siltstone of Triassic age which occurs beneath parts of eastern Worcestershire, the Midlands and neighbouring areas such as Cheshire, Nottinghamshire, Devon and northern Yorkshire.  Once known as Keuper Marl, the layers are typically red, or occasionally green or grey, generally featureless and contain few fossils.  Sometimes present at the base of the marl can be thick halite-bearing layers, or rock salt deposits.


CENSUS INFORMATION MAY BE VIEWED HERE BY CLICKING ON THE DATE REQUIRED


1841   (District 6)
1841   (District 7)
1861   (District 4)
1861   (District 5)
1881   (District 4)
1881   (District 5)
1911   (District 6)





The following item appeared in the Parish Magazine, September 2019:  

Whatever happened to Hallow’s common land?

The village of Hallow would have looked very different in 1815 in the year of the Battle of Waterloo. There were areas of commons and waste known as Windmill Common, Old Field; The Raynes/Reins (later the site of the present church) and about 10 acres known as Hallow Heath. The Heath common land was dotted about the village, some was to the North of the village on both sides of the Moseley Road at the junction with the main road and also a narrow ribbon of land in Moseley Road beyond the entrance to Heath Farm around the area now known as Flatten Bank and a smaller narrow strip on the other side of Moseley Road.

Colin and Diane Cartridge who live at Rosedale, Moseley Road, kindly let me look at their old deeds and those together with the 1816 Allotment of Hallow Enclosure, have helped to show how Hallow developed after the commons were enclosed.  Samuel Bourne, a Shoulton farmer was entitled to just over 3 acres and was given three plots of common land. The larger plot of land stretched from before Heath Farm in Moseley Road to approximately the site of Salven Acre and Heath Terrace on the main road. The other two plots were in the long narrow strip to the right of Moseley Road from the main road. By 1821 Samuel Bourne had put the narrow plots of land in Moseley Road up for sale, the larger plot between Moseley Road and the main road remained for the time-being in the family.
FLATTEN BANK 1816

It is possible to pick up the trail again of the Flatten Bank strip in the 1841 census, when tithe field number 355 contained an un-named Cottage & Garden which was owned and occupied by the Hammond family, but was that Rosedale or another nearby cottage?  On 13 October 1864 31year-old Ellen Hammond married local builder Joseph Fortey aged 34. Before the marriage it had been agreed that Joseph would buy the un-named property for £160 so that all the Hammond sisters would have their share of the inheritance following their brother’s death.

Rosedale’ deeds include a 30th January 1922 document in which William Smith, a labourer who had lived in the village for 80 years, made a sworn declaration that in about 1865 Joseph Fortey built two cottages in the grounds of Rose Cottage which he owned and which was then occupied by William Potter a shoemaker. So that seems to date Rosedale Cottage and adjoining Flatten Bank Cottage to about 1865, with Rose Cottage having been built before 1841.  By 1881 Joseph & Ellen Fortey and their four children were living at Walnut House. Joseph employed 8 men and a boy. He was amongst the builders who bought the timbers etc from the 1830’s church when it was demolished in the late 1860’s and no doubt those timbers were “re-cycled” in houses in and around Hallow.  On 30th September 1921 Joseph and Ellen Fortey’s surviving children, Henry Fortey – Railway Clerk of Windsor Cottage, Lucy Moon - a local teacher and Mary Ellen Lock - wife of Henry Lock innkeeper at the Crown Inn, decided to sell the Fortey’s 19th century properties including Rose Cottage, Flatten Bank Cottage and Rosedale.

FLATTEN BANK 2019

If you live in Hallow and are willing to let the History Group look at your deeds, it should be possible to draw up a more detailed picture of how Hallow developed in the 19th century. If you are interested please contact us.

Jacquie Hartwright