Clubs & Societies

CLUBS & SOCIETIES



This research has been made possible by using the archives held at the Hive, and also the archives of the Worcester Chronicle, for which we thank them.

If you have any further information or can give us sight of photographs that you may have regarding these societies, please do contact us.

INDEX OF ARTICLES ON THIS PAGE:

Air Rifle Club
Amateur Dramatic Society
Bell Ringers and Hand Bell Ringers
Choral Society
Cricket Club
Girl Guiding
History Group
Horticultural Society
Pig Keepers Society
Village Community Group
Welsh Border Morris Men
Womens Institute
Working Mens Club
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The  Air Rifle Club



The Air Rifle Club started life in the Working Men's Club, now known as the Hallow Sports and Social Club, and the club joined the long established Lord Ednam Air Rifle League in 1947.

The last records of this club to have been found are dated 1973/74.
To read the research, please click here 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Amateur Dramatic Society

The Hallow Amateur Dramatic Society (HADS) was founded on February 26th 1914 by a group of ‘pioneer members’ under the chairmanship of Chris Lock, with Revd. Kershaw as president from 1914 -1924.  Mr Arthur Lord and family of Hallow Mount had staged a show in aid of ‘Waifs and Strays’ and the Scouts in 1911 and became enthusiastic and active members of HADS. Following the success of an informal Christmas production of ‘Cinderella’ in 1913, a formal society was formed with rules, subscriptions and membership, the accounts and minutes of which are stored at the Hive.  Members from a 3 mile radius of Hallow paid an annual subscription of 2 shillings. The committee, including treasurer, secretary and stage manager, met in Green House, the home of Nurse Brown, and included also the Wheeler and Lock families, Mr. Green, Mr. Moon, Miss Spark and Miss Gardiner.

Inaugural Show Review

In the following year this ambitious and dynamic group purchased, hired or made a proscenium, curtains, wings, scenery, lighting, costumes and props for 3 sketches performed for Hallow Parochial Garden fete in June, to a paying audience of 103, and ‘Sleeping Beauty’ on New Year’s Eve in the Schools to an audience of 213, an event that raised funds for the War Fund.  However international events intervened and in 1915 HADS fell into abeyance as so many members were in active service.


Hallow Fete, performance held at The Mount
















For more photographs and to read the full research, click here.



-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Bell Ringers of Hallow

Introduction

The Hallow History Group project has been to research the clubs and associations of Hallow of which this is one. The bells of Hallow Parish Church have rung out on a weekly basis for the whole of the 20th century and into the 21st century save when they were interrupted by war. It is the dedication of the band of ringers over this period of time which has enabled the bells to ring out and as much as possible their names and stories about them will be recorded in this project. The text is culled from many sources including old Church magazines, Berrows Journal, previously unpublished documents and the aural and written histories provided by current ringers. There are several appendices which give information about the art of bell ringing, the peals that have been rung in Hallow and poetry written about or by the local ringers. Every effort has been made to create an accurate record. 

The author apologises for any errors which will be corrected in future editions.  

The Hallow Bells have the following inscriptions:

The bells were renovated in 1937 as part of the commemoration of the coronation of King George VI.

To read further, please click here

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bell Ringers

Here are extracts from the Parish Magazine covering the area of Hallow, Broadheath and Comer Gardens – World Wars I and II

AUGUST 1915
The Hallow Bell ringers much regret the loss of their Master and Tower-keeper, Mr. A. Winterton, who has left this Parish to take up an appointment in Dudley.  He had been the conductor and instructor of the Ringers since the tower was built and the bells were hung in the year 1900.  Under his guidance the Hallow Bell ringers have achieved reputation and fame far and wide, and many have been the notable “changes” rung on the Hallow bells.
As a mark of esteem and gratitude for his services, he has recently been the recipient of a handsome parlour-clock, bearing the inscription “Presented to A. Winterton by the Vicar and Bell ringers of Hallow, 1915”.  Mr W Rouse who was one of the original band of Ringers in 1900, has kindly acted as Hon. Secretary for the presentation.
JANUARY 1919
On Sunday, Dec 1st, before the Evening Service, the Hallow Band of Ringers accomplished a “Date Touch of Grandsire Triples,” denoting the date of the year and consisting of 1918 changes.  The ringers fulfilled their task in 1 hour 12 minutes, standing as follows: T Lane, treble; C.  G. Bowkett, 2nd; J. Batchelor, 3rd; G. Checketts, 4th, L. Clay, 5th; T. Bullock, 6th; G. Hinton 7th; and G. Jacob, tenor.  On Thursday morning, Dec 26th, they rang a peal of Grandsire Triples, consisting of 5,040 changes.
JULY 1919
HALLOW CHURCH BELLS
On Saturday, June 14th, there was rung on the bells of the Parish Church of St Philip and St James, by eight members of the Worcestershire and District Association of Change Ringers, in 3 hours and 24 minutes, a Peal of Kent Treble Bob Major, 5576 changes.
The following took part:

Charles E. Bowketts of Worcester
Treble
Gordon W. Checketts
2
William Lewis
3
William Page
4
Sergt. Ernest Morris, A.S.C., of Leicester
5
William C. Jones of Worcester
6
Francis Barker of Leeds
7
Joseph E. Sykes of Huddersfield
Tenor
Tenor 21 ½ cwt
The Peal was composed by Mr. Arthur Knights of Chesterfield and conducted by Mr. Joseph E Sykes, and this was the first time of ringing.  The first peal in this method by Messrs. Bowkett and Lewis was rung on the eve of the return to civil life of Sergeant E. Morris after nearly four years in Khaki.
OCTOBER 1919
CAMPANOLOGY – on Sunday, Sept. 7th, there was rung on the bells of the Parish Church, by members of the Worcestershire and District Association, a peal of Kent Treble Bob Major, consisting of 5,056 changes in 3 hours and 5 minutes; Charles G. Bowkett, Treble; Francis W. Neate, 2nd; William Ranford, 3rd; Joseph D. Johnson, 4th; George Hinton, 5th; Gordon W. Checketts, 6th; William Lewis, 7th; Joseph E. Sykes, tenor.  Conducted by Joseph E. Sykes.
 ------------------------------------------------------------------
18 JANUARY 1939

The Hallow Bell Ringers held their Annual Meeting at the Vicarage on 18 January 1939 under the Chairmanship of the Vicar, the kind Hostess being Mrs. Stickings who was assisted by Miss Clay.

The Election of Officers for the ensuing year are recorded as follows:

Master, Mr. Leonard Clay. Deputy Master, Mr. T. G. Green.
Chiming and Cleaning duties were voluntarily undertaken by the following:
Messrs. Leonard Clay, T. G. Green, Percy L. Blissett, Christopher F. Blissett, Arthur H. Tyler, and William Sharp. The latter also undertaking to be responsible for the Clock Winding.

MAY, 1945

BELL RINGERS:  The sympathy of all will go to Mrs. Tyler and her family; she has lost a good husband and we have lost a keen member of our belfry.  One of the most attractive hobbies is bell ringing, and it is a pity that we have not a full band of ringers, for our bells are exceptionally good ones.  We need about six young men to make up the number, so that the bells can be rang each Sunday.  Will any who are interested, please volunteer and give their names to the Vicar.


-------------------------------------------------------------------

In 2016 it is said that there is a current shortage of church bell ringers which means some of the bells in the county’s churches may not get rung.  One set of ringers was reported as travelling between three churches a day to ring the bells, a far cry from the 1970s when the skill/hobby/accomplishment was highly popular and the Worcester News was able to carry a story headlined: “Bell ringing Boom”.

As a hark back to the era, here is a photograph of the team of ringers at Hallow Church, just outside Worcester in 1975 with new recruit Sarah Clarke on the far left being given some tips from experts Jim Ranford, Jim Wheeler, Fred Push, Neil Bell (appropriately named) Jack Call and Bob Browne.

Fred Pugh, who was the town-master for some years is pictured with Sarah (below)


-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Hand Bell Ringers

Article from the Berrows Newspaper, 29 December 1900

On Christmas Eve and Boxing g Night, the Hallow Band of Hand Bell Ringers, under the leadership of Mr. A. Winterton, visited the principal houses in the district where they rendered a selection of songs, carols, etc., on the bells, and were complimented on the excellent progress they have made since they started with them a short time ago.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Choral Society

Two items have been found published by the Worcester Chronicle:

11 January 1902
SOCIAL EVENING – On Thursday January 2, the Choral Society invited their friends to a Social Evening at the schools, when, after an excellent tea, to which about 80 sat down, dancing, singing, and games were indulged in to a late hour.
CONCERT AT HALLOW – The Hall Choral Society gave an excellent concert on Monday last, which was attended by a large number of people. The programme was as follows:
Part song ‘The Dashing Young Sergeant’, Mr. Hopewell
Violin solo Miss McCann
Song ‘My Curly-headed Baby’, Mrs. Hill
Quartettes ‘Robin A’dair’ and ‘On the Banks of Allan Water’ (encored)
Song ‘Stars of the Summer Night’, Rev. A. L. E. Griffiths
Part song ‘Lovely Night’
Song ‘Lucky Jim’, Mr. Lord (encored)
Part song ‘Awake! Sweet Love’
Song ‘Through the Valley’, Rev. A. Perowne
Excitation ‘The Purple Coat’, Mr. Lord (encored)
Song ‘Fiddle and I’, with violin obligato, Mrs. Hill (encored)
Violin Solo ‘Mazurka Caracteristique’, Miss McCann
Quartettes ‘Must I then part from thee?’, and ‘The long day closes’
(encored)
Song ‘When I was a boy at School’, Mr. Hopewell (encored)
Part Songs ‘The Nightingale’ and ‘The Vale of Past’

Mr. Joseph Hill efficiently discharged the duties of accompanist.

25 April 1903
Hallow Choral Society is in a flourishing state. Last week the members gave a concert, the principal item of which was Macfarren’s cantata ‘May Day’. The work presents certain difficulties even to accomplished singers, and the performance at Hallow shows what can be done in a country place with a scarcity of real talent. The result amply repaid the chorus for the great amount of time they have spent in reparation, and the crowded audience fully appreciated their efforts. Mrs. Glover Eaton sang the soprano solo in the cantata, and also contributed another song. Other contributors to the programme were Miss Sheppard, the Rev. J. F. Hastings, A. Perowne, and A. Griffiths, Messrs. Alexander and Hopewell.

The Rev. A. L. E. Griffiths has devoted a considerable amount of time to the Society, of which he is honorary conductor, and to him, in a great measure, is due the success with which recent performances have been attended. The members, recognizing this, presented him on Friday with a handsome clock, as a mark of their appreciation and esteem.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


The Cricket Club


An entry in the diary of Mrs. Mary Stevenson, wife of Rev. Henry Stevenson, recorded the establishment of Hallow Cricket Club in July 1851, and on September 8th 1852 she wrote “Grand cricket match between Hallow and Crowle clubs.  Hallow won!”




After a break for World War I, the club recommenced in 1919 - 

"The Cricket Club has been re-formed after a break in its existence of nearly 5 years.  Only a few of the old members still remain in the village, but a meeting of enthusiasts was held at the Lea House on May 9th .....
Mr. H. Lock, who was captain of the Club before the War, said that the former field was still available, the pavilion might require a little repair, and he had looked carefully after the bats, balls, and other appliances in the interim.  Practice was commenced on Monday, May 7, and it is hoped that the season of 1919 may be pleasant and prosperous in the annals of the Club."  October 1919.

Many family names appear as sons follow fathers onto the team and if you happen to visit the playing field in the season you will see many familiar local faces.  

To read the full research with photographs of team members, please click here



-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Girlguiding


Girlguiding (originally the Girl Guides Association) is the largest female organisation in the UK, having 550,000 members. It is for girls from the ages of 5 upwards and consists of five different groups:-

Rainbows 5-7 years
Brownies 7-10 years
Guides 10-14 years
Senior Section 14-26th Birthday
Trefoil Guild – 18+ years



Robert and Agnes Baden Powell
In 1907, Lord Robert Baden Powell set up the Boy Scout Movement.  Girls wanted to be involved as well so in 1909 they ‘gate crashed’ the first Boy Scout Rally at Crystal Palace! They asked Lord Baden Powell to find something for girls as well as boys. As a result of this, in 1910, the Girl Guides Association was formed, led by Agnes Baden Powell, Lord Baden Powell’s sister.

It was not until 1928 that Hallow started its own Girl Guide Company. This was the beginning of 1st Hallow Guides. The Captain was Miss Mary Amphlett and the Lieutenant was Mrs Collett.

To see photographs and further research, click here



-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                                      
The History Group


Hallow History Group was formed in 2008 as a sub group of Hallow village Community Group. In 2006 100 copies of booklet entitled ’A Brief History of Hallow’ were produced and sold which helped to create an interest to engage in further research and to attempt to record the history of our lovely but rapidly changing village. The booklet formed the basis for a village history walk in 2007, attracting 60 walkers, including a core of people who went on to form Hallow History Group.



The group began by collecting written oral histories of the older residents of Hallow, many of whom are no longer with us. Then in 2009 we mounted a display of aspects of village history that attracted 300 visitors through the day. 






Our first major project, completed in 2010, centred on Hallow Village Green. Each existing property and earlier buildings were researched. We learnt about a pub, coffee shop, a Malthouse, bakery, forge, garage, petrol station, post office and other shops that existed over the centuries to serve the village.
The next year our Group decided to research and record the farms and mills of Hallow, a major project completed with the aid of a generous grant from the Heritage Lottery Fund. This enabled us to get training, buy equipment and materials, work with school children, copy ancient maps, waymark a heritage walking route, make oral recordings of farming memories of Hallow, set up our website, produce a book and finally mount a display on May 19th 2013. This was supported by the community and other Hallow Groups by the first of our successful Country Fairs, which is becoming an annual event involving the whole village and beyond as well as the history group


Oral History Training
The Book!



                                                                   The Book Launch








One of the boards for the Farm Heritage Walk







In addition, in 2012 the group has researched the 300 year history of the village school, joining with them in their Tercentenary celebrations.


With the demise of the Royal Oak, members of the group set about recording the history of the pubs of Hallow for a public presentation in September 2014. Research can be viewed on our website. With the centenary of the Great War in 2014, we embarked on researching our own local heroes, many of whom are remembered and detailed on our website, as well as some from the 2nd World War.







Apart from our monthly research group meetings, we arrange field and coach trips, open to the public, to destinations of general historical interest. 












                        

                           Visit to RAF Cosford in July 2014

We engage public speakers to present talks of local interest, a few of these talks are presented by one or more from our own group members.




Amongst other themes, our recent research centred on the Clubs and Societies, past and present, of Hallow. Our own is a youngster, less than 10 years old, but much has been achieved in these few years to record and celebrate the rich heritage of our village. New members are invited to join by contacting us at HallowHistoryGroup@gmail.com

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


     The Horticultural Society




The current  Society was formed in 1985 and celebrates its 30th year in 2015.  However, its existence dates back much further and there are original show schedules available which date to 1950.


Read more research here

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Pig Keepers' Society


This item was printed in the Worcester Chronicle dated 14 February 1903.

A meeting of villagers from Broadheath, Grimley and Hallow was held in the Hallow Schoolroom on Tuesday last to consider the question of forming a Pig Keepers’ Association.  The Rev. A. W. T. Perowne was elected chairman and called upon Mr. H. Waldron, hon. Secretary of the Red Hill Society, to explain the working of his and kindred societies.  A proposition to form a society for the districts was carried unanimously, and the following were elected to draw up rules, etc.:


Chairman       
Rev. A. W. T. Perowne


Hon. Secretary
Mr. W. H. Woodcock, Hallow.


Committee
Messrs. Walters, Haynes, Aspry and Gillett (Hallow)



Messrs. Freeman, Stanton, Fortey and Hughes (Broadheath)






Messrs. Bourne, Parker, Bullock and G. Fortey (Grimley)



There was also a Pig Club during WWII, where people collectively bought pigs to fatten.  They were then killed one at a time and the meat shared between the members.  (This was recollected by Stan and Edna Wilde.)



If you have more information of this club, please contact us.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


The Village Community Group

The Hallow Village Community Group was the brain child of Jon Tainton who ten years ago set it up with the objective of encouraging a stronger community spirit within the village.
A group of interested people met at his house and decided to set it up.
The group received some funding from the Parish Council and with the proceeds from a stall at one of the village car boot sales, they were almost up and running.
Before the group could carry out any community activities they needed to take out public liability insurance which does not come cheap.

To read about the Group's activities, please click here

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Original Welsh Border Morris Men

 a Hallow based organisation since 1973



The Welsh Border Morris Men were formed in 1973, by lifelong Hallow resident John Barker and two others, Dave Jones and John Aston, with the objective of running a side, to do just one morris dance tour a year at Christmas, dancing the dances of our region known as the Welsh Border dances of Worcestershire, Herefordshire and Shropshire. The style is lively, energetic, boisterous and often quite noisy with most dancing involving much stick-clashing.

The link with Hallow has been strong from the start with a core of members residing in the village and the organisational meetings happening at The Camp House Inn in Grimley, even though the majority of the dancers come from elsewhere.

In 1973 membership was restricted to dancers of Worcestershire's Faithful City and Silurian Morris sides, subsequently it became open to any morris man by invitation. Nowadays the side boasts one of the largest, if not the largest morris side in the country, with around sixty men dancing out each year. The men come from different sides from all over the country.

The side practices just once a year, on the first Saturday in December. The practice has been held for many years at the Bell Inn in St Johns, Worcester. The actual tour has a slightly varying itinerary but always starts at The Fox Inn on Monkwood Green. After a hearty Full English pub breakfast the coach stops first in White Ladies Aston where villagers turn out in large numbers and share mince pies and mulled wine to all who attend – a truly delightful pre-Christmas tradition. The next stop is The Angel Hotel in Pershore where an AGM is held before dancing on the streets. Evesham may feature in the tour, though it will not in 2016!  A traditional stop is made in Upton on Severn where the very well-known Upton Morris dances are performed, The tour finishes in the heart of Worcester, outside the Guildhall, dancing in front of last minute shoppers as darkness falls.

Each year the side supports a chosen charity - Macmillan nurses in 2016.

If you want to know more, contact the Secretary, (known as the bagman), Mike Finn on 01905 641058 or check our website http://www.welshbordermorris.co.uk/.


-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WOMENS INSTITUTE - (Jam Jerusalem!)

SETTING THE SCENE
The WI Movement began in Canada, Adelaide Hoodless a young mother lost a child through contaminated milk and with the help of a farmer formed a group to educate women so that other mothers would not suffer as she had. That group was eventually in 1897 to become the Women’s Institute and in 1915 whilst the First World War was raging a Mrs Watts came over to Anglesey in Wales and the first Women’s Institute in England and Wales was formed in Llanfair PG.   Last year in 2015 there were many celebrations including a Garden Party at Buckingham Palace celebrating the Centenary of the more commonly used name ‘the WI’

HALLOW
On the 18th of June 1943 Mrs. Winnington, a Voluntary County Organiser (V.C.O.) from the Worcestershire Federation, presided over a meeting in Hallow Parish Hall.  She gave an inspiring address on the meaning, responsibilities and pleasure derived by the formation of a WI in a village, and at the end of that meeting 57 members paid a subscription of 2s/6d to join.  Hallow had a WI.

July 15th 1943 - The first meeting setting out the Rules and Regulations i.e. Name of WI, you had to be 15 years old, 15 members on the Committee, you had to have a President and 2 Vice Presidents. Meetings would be on the 2nd Thursday in the month and the AGM would be in November, the first AGM was held in 1944.

To read the full research, click here

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Working Men's Club

The Hallow Working Men’s Club was established in 1858 to provide recreation and useful instruction for the working men of Hallow and Grimley, a great many of whom would have been in the employ of local landowners.

We have been asked if we know why Mrs. Wheeley Lea felt the need to promote the club so although we have no written proof we thought it would be helpful to look at the prevailing social climate at the time.

In the late 17th Century under William of Orange gin had been introduced from the Netherlands, its consumption became widespread and cheap “gin palaces” were opening across England which became a draw to the working classes as initially because of low production costs it was cheaper than beer. This had devastating social effects. As a direct result in 1835 England saw the birth of the British Association of the Temperance Movement. With its focus on the on the working classes and in a bid to counter the damage caused by the evils of alcohol, they advocated the provision of coffee houses and halls as meeting places as replacements for bars. Following closely on this movement was the Salvation Army founded in 1864 who also saw the terrible effect that alcohol, in particular spirits, was having on the working man.

The climate of opinion then seems to suggest that working men should have a gathering place within the parish which did not directly depend on the consumption of alcohol.

Men’s Clubs were then being formed whose aims were the promotion of education and recreation in a non-alcoholic way. These clubs were non-profit making organisations, run by the members through a committee, a practice which continues to this day. In 1862 when Henry Solly, a wealthy philanthropist , founded The Working Men’s Club and Institute there were 136 certified and enrolled clubs, only 13 of which were not within public houses.


Circa 1900
It seems inevitable therefore that the inception of the Hallow Working Men’s club was a room in the Plough Inn at the north end of The Green. It is probable that a subscription was paid and, as today, all funds would be used for the mutual benefit of members. We have a report that in 1899 the club was in funds to the amount of £3.



The Plough became a coffee tavern in 1883 and by 1891 we have reports of well attended smoking concerts where convivial conversation, pipes and cigars were enjoyed whilst good music was played. The problem was that often non-members would wander through from the coffee tavern to join in. 

To read the full research, click here


-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------